Facing Life's Obstacles Part 4: Facing Criticism and Praise
Charles F. Stanley
Scripture: Proverbs 27:1-2, 21
Supporting Scripture: Proverbs 10:17;Proverbs 13:18;Proverbs 15:31-32;Proverbs 16:5, 18;
Proverbs 28:13;Proverbs 29:1, 23
- Avoid the wrong responses to criticism: anger, defensiveness, attack, or withdrawal.
- People respond in negative ways because of:
- Poor self-image.
- Consequences of not accepting criticism are:
- Loss of opportunity.
- Missing out on love.
- Embrace the proper responses to criticism: listening, eye contact, self-evaluation, gratefulness, gracious attitude.
- Praise and flattery are not the same thing.
- Receive praise properly, with thanks and grace.
- Rewards for handling praise and criticism include peace, friendship, and healing.