Living in the Power of the Holy Spirit Part 2: The Mission of the Spirit
Charles F. Stanley
Scripture: John 16:5-8
Why did the Holy Spirit come? What is His mission?
- The Ministry of the Holy Spirit is essential to our salvation. He creates the desire within us to be saved. (John 6:44; Ephesians 2:1-2; Romans 3:10-11, 17-18; 2 Corinthians 4:3-4)
- 1 Corinthians 2:14
- He convicts the conscience.
- He gives the gift of repentance and the gift of faith.
- He grants new life. It is impossible to get saved without the Holy Spirit.
- The ministry of the Holy Spirit is essential to our sanctification.
- Sanctification means holy.
- You cannot walk the walk without the Holy Spirit.
- Positionally – one act – sets you apart as a child of God
- Progressively – a lifetime of daily depending upon Him
- The ministry of the Holy Spirit is essential for service.
- Every child of God is called for service.
- Ephesians 2:9-10 Matthew 28:19-20
- God is more interested in powerful service than polished service.
- Salvation: an act of faith
- Sanctification: the walk of faith
- Service: faith in the power of the Holy Spirit to enable you to do what He has called you to do.
- When serving in the power of the Holy Spirit we may:
- Tire but not burn out.
- Face obstacles but not be discouraged.
- Forced to wait but not manipulate.
- Feel pressure but not become desperate.
- Feel helpless but not hopeless.
- Feel wronged but not retaliate.