A Life-Changing Prayer
By Dr. Charles Stanley
Watch A Life-Changing Prayer video.
Scripture: Colossians 1:7-14
I. Introduction: How do you respond when people ask you to pray for them? Do you know how to lift them up before the Lord? In the first chapter of Colossians, the apostle Paul has given us a powerful model for intercession. We can have confidence that God will answer this life-changing biblical prayer.
A. Power: The prayer in Colossians 1:7-14 has the power to rescue someone from all kinds of difficulty, hardship, and destruction. One couple shared that they began praying it years ago for their small children. Today, all their children and grandchildren walk in the ways of the Lord.
B. Content: Ask God that the person would . . .
1. “Be filled with the knowledge of His will” (v. 9). Every believer needs to know the Lord’s specific plans for his or her life. As a parent, give your children freedom to follow their heavenly Father’s best for their lives.
2. “In all spiritual wisdom and understanding” (v. 9). Ask God to help them walk in a manner worthy of Christ’s name. As believers, our conversation, character, and conduct should reveal obedience to God.
3. “Bearing fruit in every good work” (v. 10). Christians should have an eternal influence on our world. As we obey God, He makes our lives fruitful.
4. “Increasing in the knowledge of God” (v. 10). A believer should grow closer and closer to the Lord over time. On a practical level, that means we should study the Bible, apply what we learn, and observe what happens when we obey or disobey God.
5. “Strengthened with all power” (v. 11). Pray that the other person will experience the power of God in his or her daily life. The Lord loves it when we realize our helplessness and cry out for His supernatural strength.
6. “Joyously giving thanks to the Father” (vv. 11-12). This request has to do with the person’s attitude. God wants us to meet life with thankfulness, trusting Him in the midst of hardship. He brings good out of suffering and deepens our character.
C. Results: Praying biblically yields fruit. While Dr. Stanley was on an In Touch cruise, he met a godly 11-year-old who prayed one of the most powerful scriptural prayers he had ever heard from a child. Because her parents cultivated an atmosphere that encouraged her to seek the Lord, she’s already making an impact.
III. Conclusion: Colossians 1 gives us a model that we can pray for anyone, no matter how young or old a person is. Commit yourself to intercede consistently for others, and believe that God will work in their lives.