Seeking God's Guidance
(Television 9/10/06; Radio 9/11-13/2006)
Charles F. Stanley
Scripture: 1 John 5:14-15
The most frequently asked question that I deal with is, How do I make the right decision in this situation? One of the most important things we learn is how to find out what God wants us to do in any given situation, in any decision that we have to make. God who is omniscient, omnipresent, who loves us unconditionally, who is willing to make Himself known to us no matter who you are and where you are, is to show us exactly what to do in every situation, and yet, many people never stop to ask. Do you know how to find out, What is the right thing to do?
God wants to guide us and show us direction.
- Psalm 16:11
- Psalm 32:8
- Proverbs 3:5-6
God guides us very clearly.
God guides us by the Holy Spirit, our "pilot."
- God sometimes uses dreams and visions sometimes.
- More often, it is the indwelling Holy Spirit guiding us.
- John 16:13
- 1 Corinthians 2:12
- Holy Spirit sharpens our spirit
- Moves, prods, pricks our conscience, gives us peace, opens our eyes and ears to God's leading
God guides us by His Word.
- God uses Scripture to speak to us
- Sharpens our perception
- Watch out for fleshly desires
- Ask God if it fits His plan for your life
- Ask God if the timing is right?
- Watch out for the counsel of others, even friends
- Talk to people who understand the mind of God
- Watch out for impatience
- Watch out for doubting God
- Thinking you don't deserve God's best
- Watch out for pressure
- External pressure from friends, family, etc.
- Internal pressure
What are the steps to godly decisions?
- Cleanse your heart
- Ask God what His will is.
- 1 John 5:14-15
- Mark 11:24
- Isaiah 64:4
When you accept Christ as your Savior, the Holy Spirit comes into your life and seals you as a child of God. The Holy Spirit will teach you how to live a godly life. It's yours for the simple asking and believing.