Did you know God wants to show you more of Himself every day? Does your time with the Lord revitalize you, or does it feel more like a ritualistic experience? In Hosea 6:6, God is clear: “I delight in loyalty rather than sacrifice, and in the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.”
In order to deepen your relationship with the Father and remain devoted to Him, you must:
• Come to Him honestly. Confessing your sins and inviting Jesus Christ into your heart requires you to be vulnerable. Although such humility and repentance may seem intimidating, accepting Christ is the best decision anyone can ever make.
• Understand your reliance upon Him. Throughout the Bible, there are people who understood their only hope was to trust the Lord to help them and deliver them from their troubles. Hannah, one such biblical character, saw God as her only source of comfort and power: “She, greatly distressed, prayed to the LORD” (1 Sam. 1:10). And because she did, He looked upon her with compassion and grace, answering her prayers (1 Sam. 1:19-20).
Your knowledge of the Father grows as you recognize His love for you.
• Become interested in what interests Him. Do you have a desire for spiritual insight and godly wisdom? If so, the Lord wants to satisfy that yearning within you. Ask Him to fulfill your longing to know Him better and to help you be interested in the things that concern Him.
• Know His Word. By reading the Bible, you open your heart to Him. He has given you the Holy Spirit to help you understand His Word, and He wants you to meditate on it so you can apply it to your life.
• Observe His characteristics and ways. Read the promises God makes in His Word. Ask Him to remind you of how He has already worked in your life—with all the wisdom, love, and power you will ever need for any challenge you will ever face.
• Accept His invitation and follow His commands. God is constantly inviting you to walk with Him. Give the Lord total control of your decisions, time, talents, and possessions—walking in complete submission to Him. Your obedience will certainly bring great blessing.
Your knowledge of the Father grows as you recognize His love for you. God delights in your joyful praise and worship of Him. Psalm 46:10 says, “Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” As your knowledge of Him deepens, your ability to trust and obey Him will increase. You will find your life’s fulfillment when you come to know and exalt the Lord of all creation.