Psalm 33:12 teaches, “Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people whom He has chosen for His own inheritance.” Our Creator has certainly blessed America in tremendous ways:
- Abundant natural beauty can be found all across our land, including tropical beaches, green valleys, rich farmlands, towering mountains, and the Great Plains.
- We have a godly heritage. Fifty-two of the original 55 founding fathers who wrote our Constitution were Christians, and they established our country on Judeo-Christian values.
- Our land is blessed with plentiful natural resources, including water, oil, ore, and fertile farm land.
- America’s free enterprise system allows almost anyone the opportunity to rise from poverty to wealth. Imaginative entrepreneurs have created all kinds of inventions to improve our lives. Compared to most nations in the world, the United States has a high standard of living.
- We enjoy the liberty to speak our minds, worship as we choose, and live undisturbed, private lives.
- Our spiritual heritage is strong. We have been blessed with intellectual spiritual giants such as Jonathan Edwards, George Whitfield, John Wesley, and Charles Finney. Through the years, pastors, evangelists, and Bible teachers have sustained that godly heritage.
Why would God bless America as He has? I believe the reason is that He intends for us to influence the nations of the world. Not only are we an example of liberty and democracy, but we also have the resources and manpower to take the gospel around the world—and in many respects, the church has done just that. But what about the country as a whole?
Sadly, we have taken God’s hand of blessing for granted, declining to bless Him in return. We have:
- Removed prayer and the Word of God from our schools.
- Legalized the murder of our unborn children.
- Tolerated all types of sexual immorality in our citizenry and elected officials.
- Allowed sex and violence to dominate our entertainment industry.
- Exported pornography to the world.
- Financed the lazy and irresponsible.
- Used our citizens’ hard-earned tax dollars to bribe dictators who have then turned around and attacked our nation.
- Tolerated liberalism from spiritual leaders who doubt the inerrancy of the Bible.
- Lived reckless and undisciplined lives, satisfying our desires in unrighteous ways.
In essence, America has told God, “Your principles no longer matter to us. We don’t need You.” Yet we continue to experience His abundant goodness. Why has the Lord withheld His judgment for so long? I believe it is because there are enough godly believers who cry out to Him on behalf of our country. He has mercifully showered us with His kindness. But this nation cannot stay on its present course and expect to continue experiencing God’s blessing.The Consequences
Scripture teaches, “Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap” (Gal. 6:7). While this verse specifically refers to individuals, the principle also applies to nations. This law affirms that we reap what we sow, more than we sow, and later than we sow.
In other words, we may not currently be harvesting all the consequences of our rebellion, but that doesn’t mean our nation will never be called to account. The Lord has chosen to bless us in the past, but that is no guarantee that He will continue to do so. He said:
I might speak concerning a nation or concerning a kingdom to build up or to plant it; if it does evil in My sight by not obeying My voice, then I will think better of the good with which I had promised to bless it (Jer. 18:9-10).
Our country cannot continue on its current path without reaping God’s judgment. Unless something changes, our grandchildren will not experience the freedom, prosperity, and opportunities that you and I enjoy today. As followers of Christ, we have the responsibility to live holy lives. You and I must speak out against indecency, immorality, and unrighteous laws. We should participate in electing and supporting godly leaders. Most of all, we are to share the gospel. Our fellow citizens need to know about the freedom and forgiveness Christ offers to all who surrender their lives to Him.
There is still time for our nation to repent and turn back to the Lord. He can sweep away the corruption in America, turn our country around, and use her powerfully to make a global impact for His name. Will you be a part of that transformation?